FLINT TWP. – Baker College’s Flint campus will be the venue for the Community, Cars, Crafts College event, Sunday, May 21, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., 1050 W. Bristol Road, Flint, according to a press release.
The free, public event is an expansion of the college’s popular annual Car and Motorcycle Show, which featured nearly 500 vehicles last year. New activities include demonstrations and interactive displays by Baker College students, community arts and crafts vendors’ booths, and a kids’ zone with a bounce house. Arts and crafts vendors can reserve free booth space.
“We are opening the doors to everything Baker College offers the community and inviting area residents to showcase their arts and crafts talent and their unique vehicles,” said Wen Hemingway, MBA, CTP, Baker College of Flint president.
Phillip Whitmer, Baker College of Flint dean of transportation technology, said the record-breaking crowds that have attended previous Baker College Car and Motorcycle shows will have even more to see and do this year:
• Health checks by students in nursing and other health science programs.
• Computer “Fix-IT” service for problematic computers by students in the award-winning cyber defense program.
• Robotics and 3-D printing demonstrations, among others including one that offers laser-cut personalized dog tags.
• The classroom work of transportation technology students, including three trucks: a 1919 Model TT, a 1929 Model A and a 1941 Dodge.
• Baker College representatives available to answer questions about programs in technology, business, education, engineering, health science, human services and social science.
Open for attendees will be the veterinary technology labs and other student areas, including Baker Hall East residence hall, Student Center, Academic Resource Center — the library of today, Center for Business and Carman-Ainsworth Baker Career Academy for high school students — all recently renovated.
For those who want to show their car or motorcycle, free registration is onsite 9 a.m. to noon. The first 100 entries will receive dash plaques, goodie bags and lunch vouchers. Awards are for the top 25 cars/trucks, top 10 motorcycles, President’s and Dean’s awards for both categories, and Best of Show, as well as recognition for car clubs that exhibit.
To reserve space for car clubs and vendors, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 810.766.2263.